Sunday, October 9, 2011

"I'm suppose to be protecting the Bears?"


So since I was already working up in Palmdale my dad told me I should take this commercial which they'll set me up in a hotel for a few days up in Apple Valley. As it is I already had a few hard nights working up here in the middle of nowhere With people coming over with guns and other driving creepy motorhomes threatening with axes. (more in book) and now he wants me to go to this commercial out in the middle of nowhere.

DAD: It's 25 dollars an hour and they'll cash you out when the job is over.

Okay now the job seemed a little more interesting. I just worked in pitched darkness what's a few more nights working in darkness right? right. I made my way over thru palmdale by driving the 138 to the 15 fwy and towards the Apple Valley off ramp. This town seems to be growing, nice homes and new stores, of course my destination was past all of that. I was pretty much in the middle of nowhere. The landscaping for where I was looked exactly like a back drop from the set of "LAND OF THE LOST" (I kid you not) I could see where the trucks where up in the dirt hill and pretty much any of the prepping crew cars. Of course I didn't have the junker I have today i still owned my durango so offroading wasn't a problem. I meet the lovely and sexy Production Manager, she introduces me to the crew. I walk around the area but stay away from the crew doing their pre lighting. The crew wraps up and before they leave one of the Producers walks up to me.

Producer: So we have really really important stuff for you to watch.

I look around and didn't really see much other than the production trucks and some wiring all over the place.

PRODUCER: Oh not here, over here where the set is.

So I walk over with him. The Producer points.

PRODUCER: That's what we need watching throughout both nights.

I look to see 2 huge cages with huge hairy bears sitting in them. around the cages were the trainers making sure things were secured tight.

(Okay so I'm thinking, what em I exactly suppose to do again? I don't remember this is the security training manual)

TRAINER: Whatever you do, don't make any sudden movements around them, don't eat around them.

(Wait I can't eat my double western bacon cheeseburger I have sitting in my car, wtf!)

It was pretty much a list of don't s.

ME: So what if they happen to get out of the cage?

TRAINER 2: Well son, you ever see that movie Forrest Gump?

ME: Yea.

TRAINER 2: You remember that scene Run Forrest Run!

ME: Yea.

TRAINER 2: That's what you do son, you run like Forrest Gump!

Okay so I'm not the slimiest guy in the world but could i really out run a bear if needed too? I was thinking if 25 bucks an hour was actually worth this.

The night was cold, yet very clear. You could see every star, very beautiful. It was so dark that the car headlights down by the road stood out. I made my rounders but kept very far from the bears, if these sucker get out there's no way I'll be able to see them in this darkness. Besides if anyone came around I'm sure they'll shit their pants running into these bears in darkness. The night was very boring, not much to do. I kept thinking I could be home right now and having fun with my girlfriend yet here I am sitting in the darkness watching huge bears. Late in the night a car parked below my area, man I sure hope they don't want to hike up here. They didn't instead they were having wild animal sex. The girl screamed huh huh huh which seemed like almost forever. (yeah things you want to hear while being stuck in the middle of darkness) They finally left around close to 4am, now I just had to get out of the truck and stretch.. I knew for sure that catering will be showing up in an hour or so (they always come early) I keep my distance and walk over to the other side of these crazy hills. The cold wind was blowing pretty good by now. Then the scent of wet animal caught my attention. At first I was thinking it's just the bears, but the bears were on the other side and the wind was blowing in a different direction. What the hell em I smelling. Coyote? I have a pretty bright flashlight, i start flashing everywhere, then my light caught eyes staring at me from on top of the rocks. I couldn't tell what it was, but when it moved down, I knew exactly. Mountain lion! Great, I make my way to my truck as fast as I can with out running ( I read once that lions like their feast to run) I made it back to my truck okay, but the rest of the nights I was there, I only walked around my truck to stretch out.


No comments:

Post a Comment